Camera Movements

A Technical Camera is one in which the lens and Film (or Sensor) can move independent of each other

The Lens is mounted on a movable stage as is the Film or Sensor holder

Monorail Camera © Phil Gee

The rear of the lens and the sensor are connected by a light tight bag or Bellows. The schematic below shows the degrees of freedom and relative directions of movement one with the other; a horizontal rotary movement is called Swing and a vertical rotary movement is called Tilt, linear vertical is called Rise and Fall and horizontal movements are called Shift, movement towards and away from each other are focusing movements

Degrees of Fredom © Phil Gee



The relative orientation of the 'film' plane to the subject determines the distortion of same on the 'film' plane,

The movement of the lens determines coverage and depth of field